I have been putting this post off for long enough! I didn't want to not write about the death of my Grandpa but I couldn't wrap my brain around it. It has been several weeks since his passing, and I think the time has come. I thought I would include a couple of photos, and write a few things that come to mind when I think of him.
1. Chapstick. Grandpa always had a tube in his front pocket. Always!
2. Fishing. He loved to fish. I remember his best fishing advice. When taking a picture with your catch, hold it way out in front of you so it looks bigger than it is!
3. Prospecting. He liked to pan for gold and even had a metal detector that he used to find goodies.
4. The outdoors. I think he spend all of his time outside. He loved to be busy and always had a project. (Similar to my husband!)
5. Mr. Fix-it. He could fix anything. Usually involving baling wire.
6. His hands. He had big hands. I won't forget what they looked like.
7. World War II. Grandpa was a war vet. In fact, he never wanted to go to Hawaii vacationing, because of his memories of it from the war. Also, he enlisted, no draft for him!
8. Grandma. Who can think of one grandparent and not the other? Grandma died in 1991 at the age of 58 after an agonizing battle with cancer. Her death was really hard on Grandpa and all of us.
9. Tanner. That is what Grandpa called me.
10. His glass eye. I loved the fact that he had a glass eye! Totally cool!
11. Entrepreneur. Grandpa had several businesses, especially the grocery store that holds a huge part in my upbringing.
12. Mammoth Creek. He loved it up there and it is where he spent most of his summer. As I have gotten older and moved away, it is usually the place where I saw him.
13. Longevity. Grandpa lived an extremely healthy 93 years. He never spent a day in the hospital until the end of his life. He died from leukemia that took him incredibly fast.
Local business, both owned or had been owned by Grandpa, posted signs for our family.

Grandpa celebrating his 88th birthday.
This was his 90th birthday at Mammoth Creek. We all gathered for that landmark day!
Chester Roy Hopkins
July 27, 1917 - August 17, 2010
We love and miss you!
Tanya, this is so beautiful. What a tribute to Grandpa who was such a neat person. I did not know that is where Mark picked up the need for chapstick in his front pocket! Mark ALWAYS has chapstick in HIS front pocket also. Even though I wasn't lucky enough to know Grandma Cora, I feel like I've got to know her a bit by Mark teaching me about her. I know how lucky I am to have known Grandpa. I understand what a close bond you kids had with your Grandparents. There is nothing that can compare to that relationship! Treasure the memories because they are what will make you smile in those moments that you're heart is missing them. Love and hugs to you sister!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful grandfather!
ReplyDeleteI just barely saw this post, and I didn't know that your grandpa had passed on. That is really special that the local stores paid tribute to him and your family. Thanks for sharing all of these interesting things about your grandpa!
ReplyDelete